Life at Wasatch Photonics revolves around our customers and our technology, and the Product Engineer is key in bringing those two together. Wasatch produces leading-edge spectrometers utilized by Research and Development and OEM customers. Our spectrometers enable cutting edge research to help solve real world problems through Raman, OCT, and NIR and fluorescence spectroscopy, and this new position is created to fuel this mission. Ideal candidates will be excited at the prospect of applying their theoretical and practical knowledge in science and/or engineering to help drive of expanding product portfolio.
If you love solving diverse problems in science and engineering, enjoy creating something new, and work collaboratively – we would love to hear from you!
Location: This position is based in Morrisville, NC (Research Triangle Park). Occasional domestic and international travel may be required.
Primary Job Responsibilities
- Transfer products from design engineering to production. Drives the design and development, validation, and commercialization of products, including new designs, material conversion, process optimization, process qualification and quality compliance.
- Lead the development, definition, and execution of optical system test plans
- Data collection and system design validation for R&D – for internal and external customers with a focus on new applications.
- Collaborate with manufacturing engineering and production teams on quality control procedures, metrics, and analysis
- Contribute to commercial and OEM product specification development
- Interface with multi-disciplinary teams and communicate with technical experts in optics, electrical design, software algorithms and volume manufacturing. Technical interface between the customer, Wasatch Photonics, and engineering functions.
- Become a domain expert in numerous aspects of spectroscopic, Raman and OCT measurement and instrument operation
- Conduct industry studies and competitive analysis of key system performance metrics including optical resolution, spectral and dynamic range, sensitivity, measurement rate, signal to noise ratio, molecular level of detection, laser power and safety, etc.
- Minimum 5 years of work in an engineering discipline
- Minimum 2 years of experience in a manufacturing environment
- Minimum 5 years of work in laboratory or industry related to spectroscopic, optical, or chemical measurement and analysis.
- Experience with spectroscopy including Raman, absorbance, and fluorescence.
- Proficient in Zemax or equivalent optical design software.
- Experience with CAD software preferably SolidWorks.
- Experience with statistical analysis and design of experiments (DOE) is preferred.
- Experience leading or participating in PFMEA’s for new product development.
- Some programming or scripting experience (R, MATLAB, Python, LabVIEW etc).
Education / Skills
- BS in engineering, chemistry, physics, optics or related field
- Strong skills with Excel and comparable data analysis packages
- Strong communication skills and positive attitude to work with engineering, manufacturing, and business teams towards success of products
- Strong organizational skills and capability of generating necessary written documentation
- Self-motivated to work on multiple development projects simultaneously
- Team worker with an aptitude for mentoring and coaching
About Wasatch Photonics
We are a fast-growing company with several market-leading products with optics at its core. Key product areas from Wasatch Photonics include Raman Spectroscopy, Optical Coherence Tomography, Hyperspectral Imaging, Volume Phase Holographic Gratings, and Diffractive Optics. The Company is an ideal place for energetic and innovative individuals looking to grow a developing company with exceptional products in a fast-paced startup driven environment. Wasatch Photonics provides a collaborative and cordial environment, and sees the growth and development of its team members as integral for its success.
We are looking to expand our teams to support our continuing market expansion. If you enjoy working in a dynamic, growth driven environment with the latest technology, then we look forward to hearing from you and discussing what we might achieve together!
What We Offer
We know that the best employees look for more than just a job. We aim to inspire you with common goals, shared vision, and an environment where you can grow and lead a balanced life – long term. Here’s a few of the benefits that make us different:
- Work with and learn from leading scientists & engineers in the fields of photonics, spectroscopy, and OCT
- Specify and use the tools and products you require to get the job done
- Flexibility and compassion in your schedule when you need it
- Share in the profits of the business
- ‘Small company culture’: very little red tape to get in the way of great ideas
- Substantial business impact and career advancement opportunities
Company Benefits Overview
- Healthcare, vision and dental coverage for employee and family
- 401(k) investment fund with employer matching
- Participation in target-based annual bonus plan
- Optional 9/80 workday schedule with flexible hours
- Tuition reimbursement for approved degree programs