Life at Wasatch Photonics revolves around our customers and our technology, and the Optical Systems Engineer position is vital in forging those two together. Wasatch produces leading-edge spectrometers utilized by Research and Development and OEM customers. Our spectrometers enable cutting edge solutions to real world problems through Raman, OCT, and NIR and fluorescence spectroscopy, and this new position is created to fuel this mission.
All our products are built around our core competency of high-throughput, transmission based optical designs and this role, generated through business expansion, will serve to create more customer inspired spectroscopy solutions.
If you have a passion for solving real world problems through optical engineering, enjoy creating something new, and working collaboratively – we would love to hear from you!
Location: This position is based in Morrisville, NC (Research Triangle Park). Occasional domestic and international travel may be required.
Primary Job Responsibilities
- New opto-mechanical product design – full system, subsystem, and optical accessories.
- Use your appetite for knowledge and innovation to be a key team member in new product development – both externally and internally driven, always customer inspired.
- Coordinate with internal and external customers to help define realistic opto-mechanical specifications early in the design process.
- Specify optical components for fabrication or sourcing from qualified suppliers
- System design validation to match performance to optical model.
- Collaborate with manufacturing engineering on realistic test methods and criteria to optimize time-in-test and ensure a consistent, quality product.
- Use your understanding of the full electro-opto-mechanical system to produce creative and efficient solutions to manufacturing challenges, as needed.
- Embody our culture to solve problems in all and any of our products as they emerge: “solve once and solve for all.”
- Document the journey effectively and succinctly.
- Strong background in optics and opto-mechanical systems.
- Well versed in the factors affecting optical resolution, dynamic range, optical noise and optical instrument performance.
- Design validation experience including tolerance analysis and test fixturing
- Knowledge of spectroscopic techniques and practices is a plus.
- Experience with statistical analysis and design of experiments (DOE) is preferred.
- Experience in the challenges of integrating single and multimode lasers.
- Experience in transferring designs into manufacturing.
Education / Skills
- Natural curiosity and a strong desire to pursue a career that effects positive change in the world.
- BS/MS or higher in Physics, Optical Engineering, or related discipline.
- A hands-on drive to determine ‘how to’ with an assumption that ‘yes we can’.
- Strong communication skills and positive attitude to work with engineering, manufacturing, and business teams towards success of products.
- Proficient in Zemax or equivalent optical design software.
- Strong organizational skills and capability of performing necessary written documentation.
- Self-motivated to work on multiple development projects simultaneously.
About Wasatch Photonics
We are a fast-growing company with several market-leading products with optics at its core. Key product areas from Wasatch Photonics include Raman Spectroscopy, Optical Coherence Tomography, Hyperspectral Imaging, Volume Phase Holographic Gratings, and Diffractive Optics. The Company is an ideal place for energetic and innovative individuals looking to grow a developing company with exceptional products in a fast-paced startup driven environment. Wasatch Photonics provides a collaborative and cordial environment, and sees the growth and development of its team members as integral for its success.
We are looking to expand our teams to support our continuing market expansion. If you enjoy working in a dynamic, growth driven environment with the latest technology, then we look forward to hearing from you and discussing what we might achieve together!
What We Offer
We know that the best employees look for more than just a job. We aim to inspire you with common goals, shared vision, and an environment where you can grow and lead a balanced life – long term. Here’s a few of the benefits that make us different:
- Work with and learn from leading scientists & engineers in the fields of photonics, spectroscopy, and OCT
- Specify and use the tools and products you require to get the job done
- Flexibility and compassion in your schedule when you need it
- Share in the profits of the business
- ‘Small company culture’: very little red tape to get in the way of great ideas
- Substantial business impact and career advancement opportunities
Company Benefits Overview
- Healthcare, vision and dental coverage for employee and family
- 401(k) investment fund with employer matching
- Participation in target-based annual bonus plan
- Optional 9/80 workday schedule with flexible hours
- Tuition reimbursement for approved degree programs