We are seeking a talented Software Engineer to be part of an innovative, close-knit product development group creating our next-generation Raman, spectroscopy and optical coherence tomography (OCT) applications. As a company, we work with leading researchers developing new scientific techniques to revolutionize healthcare, security, food security, materials development & processing, and environmental monitoring. As a senior developer with us, the performance of the apps and drivers you create will be a key factor in their success, and will accelerate the path to market for revolutionary technologies by our many OEM customers.
Wasatch Photonics has long been known for its superior optical designs for spectroscopy and OCT, drawing upon our own high efficiency holographic gratings. And we want our software to be just as good — efficiently and robustly exchanging data and commands over protocols like USB and Bluetooth, then processing and graphing spectral data using custom algorithms and widget frameworks. You will have the opportunity to lead full-stack development from application-level device driver to desktop GUI to mobile app, supporting a range of platforms, operating systems and language bindings.
We offer a fast-paced development environment, a variety of interesting & overlapping projects, and a positive collaborative atmosphere where you will learn about the physics, optics and chemistry underlying our spectroscopy and optical coherence tomography technology. We are here to build upon one another’s talents and succeed as a team.
If this sounds like the kind of challenge and environment that brings out the best in you, then the best of us would like to meet you!
Location: The position is located in Orlando, Florida (Central Florida Research Park). Occasional domestic and international travel may be required.
What We Offer
We know that the best people look for more than just a job. We aim to inspire you with common goals, shared vision, and an environment where you can grow and lead a balanced life – long term. Here’s a few of the benefits that make us different:
- Work with and learn from celebrated scientists in the field of Raman, spectroscopy, and OCT
- Specify and use the tools and products you require to get the job done
- Flexibility and compassion in your schedule when you need it
- Share in the profits of the business
- ‘Small company culture’: very little red tape to get in the way of great ideas
- Planned career development opportunities
Primary Job Responsibilities
- Maintain and extend ENLIGHTEN™, our cross-platform realtime desktop spectroscopy GUI.
- Lead development on new cross-platform mobile applications for iOS and Android phone and tablet platforms.
- Support and expand our collection of application-level USB wrappers and sample code allowing easy control of spectrometers from a variety of languages including C/C++, C#, Python, LabVIEW, MATLAB, Delphi and others.
- Contribute to our internal manufacturing, test automation and quality control software.
- Be the assigned lead engineer on development and sustainment projects, responsible for bringing customer inspired technical solutions to fruition.
- Use your wit, creativity and knowledge to drive projects to completion and have fun doing it.
- Interface with multi-disciplinary teams and communicate well with technical experts in optics, electronics, mechanical design and volume manufacturing.
- Document the journey effectively, and preferably with flair.
- 3+ years professional experience in object-oriented development and design
- Demonstrable knowledge in either Python or C# required
- Demonstrated proficiency at bitwise operations (bitmasks, endian flipping, de/serialization etc)
- Experience in formal software configuration management and revision control (Git preferred)
Optional / Preferred Experience
Additional experience in any of the following tools and languages would be a plus, or simply interest in learning more about these topics and growing your skillset as an engineer.
- C# (WinForms, async, multithreading, Xamarin)
- Python (Numpy, PySide2, pip, pyinstaller)
- C/C++ (Visual Studio, GCC, gmake)
- Qt4/5 (Designer, signal/slots, UI thread)
- Linux / bash userland proficiency
- rendered documentation systems (Doxygen, Javadoc etc)
- publishing to Apple and/or Google Play app stores
- Bluetooth Low-Energy (GATT profiles, characteristics)
- R (R Studio)
- firmware, bare-metal or RTOS C (Keil, ARM)
- XCode / Swift
- signal processing (peakfinding, wavelets, regressions)
Education / Skills
- BS in CompSci, Computer Engineering or other scientific discipline.
- Natural curiosity and a strong desire to pursue a career that effects positive change in the world.
- Strong communication skills and positive attitude to work with engineering, manufacturing, and business teams towards success of products.
- Strong organizational skills and capability of performing necessary written documentation.
- Self-motivated to work on multiple development projects simultaneously.
About Wasatch Photonics
We are a fast-growing company with several market-leading products with optics at its core. Key product areas from Wasatch Photonics include Raman Spectroscopy, Optical Coherence Tomography, Hyperspectral Imaging, Volume Phase Holographic Gratings, and Diffractive Optics. The Company is an ideal place for energetic and innovative individuals looking to grow a developing company with exceptional products in a fast-paced startup driven environment. Wasatch Photonics provides a collaborative and cordial environment, and sees the growth and development of its team members as integral for its success.
We are looking to expand our teams to support our continuing market expansion. If you enjoy working in a dynamic, growth driven environment with the latest technology – then we look forward to hearing from you and discussing what we might achieve together!