The Senior Electrical Engineer will play a vital role in the growing engineering team at Wasatch Photonics. With full-stack development across digital and analog electronics, the successful candidate will help drive our next generation products and OEM development projects.
Wasatch Photonics exists to bring innovation to help solve real world problems through OCT, Raman, NIR and fluorescence spectroscopy and this new position is created to fuel this mission. Ideal candidates will be excited at the prospect of working in a fast-paced development environment while juggling multiple ongoing projects and learning more about the physics, optics and chemistry underlying spectroscopy, as well as optical coherence tomography.
Location: Raleigh/Durham, North Carolina. Occasional domestic and international travel may be required.
- Interfacing and control of optical instrumentation peripherals including 1D and 2D CCDs and CMOS arrays, cameras, light sources, displays, scanners, motors and others
- Lead new sensor integration projects including development or selection of analog front-end
- Development and maintenance of circuit-card assemblies providing sensor control, light source control, communications and power management
- Be the assigned lead engineer on OEM development projects responsible to bring customer inspired technical solutions to fruition.
- Interface with multi-disciplinary teams and communicate with technical experts in optics, mechanical design, software development and volume manufacturing.
- Responsible for maintaining appropriate documentation in accordance with the Quality Management System of the company.
- Experience using engineering processes & procedures
- PCB design with schematic capture and board layout (Multi-layer SMT, Altium preferred)
- PCB drawing creation (layer stackups, dimensioning, BOM scrubbing)
- Signal integrity analysis and simulation (SPICE), analog and digital differential
- Communication protocols (USB, I2C, SPI, BLE)
- Power management (DC-DC converters, battery chargers, gas gauges).
- Full lifecycle design (concept, feasibility, design, test, transfer to manufacture: DFM)
- Board bring up, bench testing and troubleshooting
- Experience writing engineering processes & procedures
- SoC experience (Zynq / Cyclone SoC)
- FPGA development using Xilinx VHDL or Verilog
- Microcontroller firmware using C (ARM or FX2)
- Control-loops for thermoelectric coolers (TEC) and light source control (PID etc.)
- Some programming experience is a plus (any of Python, C#, MATLAB, R, LabVIEW etc.)
- 5 years’ experience in a commercial organization involved in new product development
Education / Skills
- BS/MS or higher in Electrical Engineering or relevant fields.
- Strong communication skills and positive attitude to work with engineering, manufacturing, and business teams towards success of products.
- Strong organizational skills and capability of performing necessary written documentation.
- Self-motivated to work on multiple development projects simultaneously.
About Wasatch Photonics
We are a fast-growing company with several market-leading products with optics at its core. Key product areas from Wasatch Photonics include Raman Spectroscopy, Optical Coherence Tomography, Hyperspectral Imaging, Volume Phase Holographic Gratings, and Diffractive Optics. The Company is an ideal place for energetic and innovative individuals looking to grow a developing company with exceptional products in a fast-paced startup driven environment. Wasatch Photonics provides a collaborative and cordial environment, and sees the growth and development of its team members as integral for its success.
We are looking to expand our teams to support our continuing market expansion. If you enjoy working in a dynamic, growth driven environment with the latest technology – then we look forward to hearing from you and discussing what we might achieve together!